Creamy pasta with basil and spinach
I crave pasta at least once a week, usually after a long workday… And then I’ll have seconds. Delicious! I made this recipe a few days ago and thought it was so tasty that I’d share it with you right away. Don’t forget to soak the cashews. It makes the sauce even creamier. Enjoy!
ca. 35 minutes
Maximum of three days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Foodprocessor (recommended) or blender
400 g/14 oz. whole grain spaghetti or other pasta of choice, like lentil pasta
250 g/9 oz. raw cashews
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
40 g/1.5 oz. fresh basil
50 g/1.75 oz. baby spinach
juice of 1/2 lemon
300 ml/1 ¼ cup water
2 tbsp olive oil, cold pressed
sea salt, to taste
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
10 cherry tomatoes
parmesan cheese (or pecorino/sheep) cheese
1. Soak the cashews in water for at least two hours. Drain and rinse.
2. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and drain.
3. Roughly chop the onion.
4. Spoon the flesh out of the avocado and combine with the remaining ingredients (except the pasta, tomatoes and cheese or nutritional yeast flakes) in a food processor (or blender). Blitz until creamy.
5. Taste. Adjust the seasoning accordingly.
6. Warm a frying pan on medium heat, add the pasta and sauce, stirring well to combine.
7. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the mix. Also tasty with tempeh!
8. Serve in a large bowl or divide into four smaller bowls.
9. Grate the parmesan cheese over top. And for the plant-based @powerfoodies, nutritional yeast flakes work too!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with #powerfoodies and #renskroes. Enjoy!