I love lemons! Despite the fact they are not a winter fruit and don’t grow on trees here in the Netherlands, I always make sure I have lemons on hand. These acidic little fellows are rich in nutrients and help protecting your body from free radicals. But wait, there’s more! Here are five reasons why I always have lemons in my home.
1. Lemon juice is an amazing non-toxic detergent; the combination of a little baking soda, lemon juice and water will clean almost any surface in your house in no time;
2. Lemon cleanses your body from the inside; it’s a very good solution when you’re dealing with problem skin with acne or scarring from acne. Tip: squeeze a little lemon juice on a piece of cotton wool, dab it on the troublemaker in question and wash it off with a little lukewarm water. It really helps!
3. Sore throat? Gargle with a little lemon water! Lemon juice is a great disinfectant and it will help your throat feel better soon;
4. A smoothie or freshly squeezed juice will keep longer in your fridge if you add a little lemon juice to it;
5. You can add lemon juice to a whole host of dishes; breakfast, lunch or dinner. It adds a little extra freshness!