Mexican avo chili bowl
Just look at this colourful and protein-rich dish! And it’s tasty and nutritious, too! I serve this with all of the different ingredients nicely arranged in a bowl, but when I tuck into it, I mix everything up because the flavour combination is heavenly! The earthenware seen here comes from the Cote d’Ivoire. When I was there this past January, we ate from these dishes and I loved them so much I asked the proprietor if I could buy a couple of them! Enjoy this recipe everyone!
approx. 35 mins.
makes 2 large or 4 small bowls
3 months in freezer, max. 3 days in air container in fridge
300 g/10.5 oz. black beans, cooked & drained
100 g/ ½ cup rice
400 g/14 oz. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 tsp curry powder
100 g/3.5 oz. red onion, sliced into rings
250 g/9 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp tamari
1 large avocado
125 g/4.5 oz. cherry tomatoes
¼ tsp chili powder
small handful cilantro, finely chopped
coconut oil or ghee, for sautéing
salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp crumbled feta (optional)
1 tbsp maple syrup
a splash of cold-pressed olive oil
1. Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Allow to cool.
2. Cook the sweet potato in boiling water (peeled and cubed) for about 5 minutes or until al dente (not too soft). Drain the sweet potato and combine it with the curry powder and oil in a pan. Stir well.
3. Then, slice the onions into rings and add them to the pan with a tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Reduce the heat to low. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to caramelize (about 10-15 min) on high heat, stirring continuously. Add a tablespoon of tamari and stir once again.
4. Slice the tomatoes in half. Mash the avocado using a fork. Make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
5. Divide the beans, rice, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and onions, cherry tomatoes and avocado in bowls. Sprinkle with chili powder and cilantro and divide the dressing evenly over the bowls.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with crumbled feta, if you’d like. I had a bit of raw onion left over so I sprinkled that over top as well.
Delicious dish if I do say so myself! ; )
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with #powerfoodies and #renskroes. Enjoy!