Miso-coconut noodle soup
Sometimes I really crave a tasty, filling bowl with all sorts of vegetables and noodles. It can be so satisfying. I’ve incorporated miso paste into this recipe. After travelling through Japan, I started experimenting more with it. It is a fermented bean paste, made with soy and salt, and sometimes brown rice or millet. It is super healthy for your gut microbiome and is also a good source of protein, fiber, minerals and vitamins. There are different kinds of miso available: the light-brown variety is a bit sweeter and less intensely flavored, making it great in desserts (say what?!); and the dark miso is the one I use in rice dishes, vegetables dishes, sauces and soups. In this delicious recipe, I’ve added a version of miso with brown rice in it. So flavorful! Enjoy this delicious, healthy bowl. I ate it twice last week. Yum!
approx. 35 min.
2 or 3 persons
2 days in the fridge in air container or 3 months in freezer
2 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium leek
1 medium yam/sweet potato
250 g/8.5 oz. chestnut mushrooms
½ tsp paprika
2 tbsp dried arame seaweed
70 g/2.5 oz. udon noodles
400 ml/1 2/3 cups coconut milk
2 tbsp miso paste (genmai miso)
200 ml/scant 1 cup water
2 green onions
a handful of bean sprouts
Ghee or coconut oil, for sautéing
1. Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the red onion, garlic, leek, yam/sweet potato, mushrooms and green onion.
3. Heat a bit of ghee or oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Add the onion, garlic and leek, stirring continuously until the onion is glassy.
4. Add the yam/sweet potato, mushrooms and paprika powder to the mix. Stir for five minutes and then add the coconut milk, water and seaweed.
5. Continue simmering until the yam/sweet potato is cooked. Remove from heat and dissolve the miso past in the soup Divide the noodles into soup bowls and spoon the soup on top. Garnish with the green onions and bean sprouts. Enjoy! ;)
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with #powerfoodies and #renskroes. Enjoy!