Chewy oat bars
For the past while, I’ve just been making the same few recipes over and over again on Sundays (prep day!) because I’ve been so busy (this really isn’t a good reason, is it?). But this past weekend, I managed to get into the kitchen to do a bit of experimenting. The recipe below worked out on the very first try, so happy! These bars make a delicious, filling snack when you’re on the go or taking a break. I’d love to hear what you guys think of them. You can let me know in the comments below, or you can, of course, just tag me (@renskroes) on social medial. Enjoy and happy prepping!
15 min. (excl. waiting time)
approx 20 min.
9 large bars
Airtight container in the fridge or max. 3 months in the freezer (be sure to pre-cut the bars if you are going to freeze them).
Oven-proof dish, square (8”x8”) + bowl
200 g / 2 cups oatmeal
120 g / 1 cup oat flour (or other whole grain flour)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
a pinch of sea salt
a small handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
2 tbsp chia seeds
120 g / 4 oz. dates, pitted and roughly chopped
4 ripe bananas
120 ml / ½ cup oat milk (or other plant-based milk of choice)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) or lemon juice
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then combine with the apple cider vinegar, oat milk and maple syrup. Mix well.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until fully combined. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.
4. Line the oven-proof dish with unbleached parchment paper and transfer the mixture into the dish. Press the mixture down into the dish and place it in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and cut into bars.
6. The bars taste best fresh but can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months and take them out of the freezer as you need them.
The best! Enjoy. Love, Rens
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with #powerfoodies and #renskroes. Enjoy!