Spicy Mango Ceviche
I love ceviche. When it’s summery and warm out, I like to make this Peruvian side dish/appetizer on special occasions like parties, picnics or BBQs with friends and family. These past few years, we’ve tended to make my boyfriend, Sid’s version, which appears in the Powerfood – The Party Edition cookbook. But now he has this delicious, plant-based version with mango, hot peppers, and avocado to contend with! Mangos have a texture that is similar to that of fish, the peppers make it nice and spicy and the citrus dressing offers the same flavor as the original version. I like to eat it with tortilla chips or in a crunchy (lettuce) wrap, but you can serve it on its own, too! Enjoy : )
Approx. 30 mins
1 large bowl
best eaten right away or 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge
Lemon squeezer (optional)
2 large mangos
1 medium red onion
2 red (or green) chili peppers
2 small handfuls fresh cilantro
1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
1 tbsp Gucot apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Tortilla chips or (lettuce) wraps, to serve
1. Chop the mangos and avocados (reserving 1/4 of one mango), finely chop the peppers and slice the onion in thin rings.
2. Finely chop the cilantro.
3. Squeeze the juice of the limes and the orange into a small bowl. Add the reserved 1/4 mango. Blend using an immersion blender until smooth.
4. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine fully.
5. Place the ceviche in the fridge to rest for 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve with tortilla chips or in a (lettuce) wrap.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with #powerfoodies and #renskroes. Enjoy!